More than 50 charges laid after ‘Safe on Seven’ campaign last week

Photo via Frontenac County OPP.

After a ‘Safe on Seven’ traffic safety campaign by Quinte Region Traffic Coalition partner enforcement officers, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have released details on the over 50 charges laid.

The traffic campaign took place from Tuesday, Nov. 21 to Friday, Nov. 24, 2023. According to a release from the OPP on Monday, Nov. 27, 2023, the Quinte Region Traffic Coalition members that participated in the Safe on Seven campaign were the Ministry of Transportation, Belleville Police Service, Quinte West OPP, Madoc OPP, L&A County OPP, and Frontenac OPP.

“The aim was to target moving traffic violations, unfit vehicles, and Commercial Motor Vehicles along the stretch of Hwy 7 from Hastings County to Lennox & Addington County to Frontenac County,” the OPP stated.

According to the release, while moving violations were the focus of the campaign, police officers were highly visible and paying specific attention to the “The Big Four” which, in terms of personal injury collision causation, are impaired driving, distracted driving, aggressive driving, and lack of occupant restraint (seat belt use). 

The OPP shared the following results from the traffic safety campaign:

  • One Stunt Driving charge – 157km/h in posted 80km/h
  • 37 Speeding charges
  • Eight other Highway Traffic Act offences
  • One Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act (CAIA) charge
  • One charge under the Tobacco Tax Act
  • Seven Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Inspections, which led to two CMVs being taken out of service

In response to Kingstonist inquiries, Provincial Constable David Yome said that all these charges were provincial offences, and no one was arrested for criminal charges.

“The OPP remains committed to traffic safety and the safety of all road users. The OPP urges drivers to work together and make the roadways the safest in Canada,” the OPP said.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!