Childcare and youth activity options in Kingston in case of school closures due to strike
As CUPE and several local school boards continue to negotiate through the weekend in an effort to avert a strike and resulting school closures, many Kingston-area parents and guardians have been scrambling to make contigency plans in case those negotiations are unsuccessful.
Many local organizations and businesses have been working hard to create new activities or expand existing programs for the duration of the potential strike. We reached out to them for information and we are pleased to provide the following list of some of those options:
- Playtrium is offering a Day Camp for the week of October 7 to October 11 for ages 4-9, from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.. Cost is $40/day. They can be reached via their website or via telephone at 613-389-5553. Hot lunch and arcade tokens may be purchased at drop-off. Refunds will be given if schools remain open.
- TK Danceworx is offering a Day Camp from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Cost is $35. The Camp includes games, activities, crafts and more. Please pack a peanut-free, litterless lunch. Please fill out a regular registration form and write CAMP days in the notes section. If you require early drop-off or late pick-up please email (address available on website) to arrange.
- Extend-A-Family may be able to accommodate additional children in their existing programs. If you are having difficulty making alternate arrangements, please contact the Coordinator of Day Services at [email protected]
- Trillium Gymnastics Club is offering a Day Camp from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost is $45 with before- and after-care available at an extra cost of $4 each. Please call 613-542-2041 for more information.
- MFRC (Military Family Resource Centre) is accepting registrations. Priority is given to kids who are already enrolled in before- and after-school care. Phone number is 613-541-5010, ext 5195.
- YMCA in Kingston and Brockville will be offering programs, with registration priority given for children already enrolled in before- and after-school programs. Any kids not currently registered can register beginning on Monday morning, contingent on available capacity.
- Sydenham Academy Of Martial Arts will be holding Day Camps. The cost is $25 per child, per day. Please email [email protected] for forms to be filled out.
- 5-6-7-8 Dance Studio is offering a Day Camp for ages 6-12, from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost is $45+HST. Before and after-care is available. Please see website or call 613-547-5678.
- Diamond Fitness in Napanee is offering programs from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Before-care can be provided from 7:30 a.m.-9 a.m., and after-care from 4 p.m.-5 p.m. Activities include martial arts lessons, games, arts and crafts. Cost is $40/day, and you can sign up for the entire week, with pro-rated refunds available if the school strike ends.
- Kingston Elite Cheer will be offering Day Camps for kids 4-11, between 9 a.m.-4 p.m. with before- and after-care available for an additional fee.
- Kingston School Of Dance will be offering a Choreography workshop, Day Camp, games and activities from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Eligible ages are 6-12, and cost is $50 per day with before- and after-care available for an additional $10. Registration is at drop-off. For more information, email [email protected] or call 613-548-8272.
- Girls Inc. Limestone is holding free Day Camps at St Matthews Church, 31 Weller Ave. Time is 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Registration can be made at drop-off.
- Tiny Hoppers in east Kingston is offering full day care for children up to age 6.
- Boys & Girls Club on Bagot St is offering care from 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. At this time it is only open to after-school members.
- Kingston Aeros Trampoline Club is running Day Camps at a special reduced rate. Info can be obtained by calling 613-544-JUMP (5867).
- Loyalist Township is offering Kids’ Camp at WJ Henderson Recreation Centre in Amherstview. Camp is for ages 4-12, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. each day. Cost is $35 per child. Before and after-care is available. Refund is available if schools reopen. For further information email [email protected] or phone 613-389-3648 or register online at www.loyalist.ca/go/register .
Do you know of any other options? Let us know by commenting below!
2 thoughts on “Childcare and youth activity options in Kingston in case of school closures due to strike”
W.A.F.F.L.E.S. Community Robotics is offering skill development in CAD, technical writing, design, and presentation skills at no charge for members grades 7+. No experience necessary. Contact [email protected] for information on how to join.
Kingston Gymnastics Club also has Strike Camp $33 9am-4pm with free before and aftercare. Follow their Facebook page for schedule/ new days being added.