A violent interaction with her partner caused a woman to flee her home and seek help at a nearby restaurant in downtown Kingston.
On Saturday, Aug. 11, 2018, the woman and the accused male were in their residence when the male became violent for no reason, according to a press release from Kingston Police. The man struck the victim, choked her, and smashed her face into the wall. When the victim fell to the floor, the accused man got on top of her and continued to hit her.
The victim managed to escape and ran to the downtown Dairy Queen location asking for police. Kingston Police responded and found the victim with visible injuries to her face, neck, and arms.
Police also learned of previous acts of violence in the relationship. In late July, the accused choked the victim, smashed her head off something, and then destroyed her phone when she attempted to call 911.
Although the accused had fled the residence, Kingston Police located him at home the following morning. The 43-year-old local man was arrested and charged with three counts of assault, mischief, breach of recognizance, and breach of probation.
Kingston Police issued the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services/online/path-of-strength-app/
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
For women: http://kfacc.org/ For men: http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/