What’s open, closed and happening in Kingston for Easter weekend 2023
The April long weekend is often when it truly starts to feel like spring, and a time when many gather with family and friends for Easter and Passover festivities.
This year marks the return of some free family-friendly events to mark the holiday:
- The Rocking Horse will be holding their annual Easter petting zoo on Saturday, Apr. 8 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at their downtown store, 193 Princess Street. Find more details on their Facebook event page.
- Also on Saturday, Apr. 8, 2023, Kingston 4 Paws is holding an easter egg hunt at the Visitor Information Centre at 209 Ontario Street. Read more about this event in our previous coverage.
To help you get your shopping and business done ahead of time, we’ve compiled a list of what is and isn’t open from Friday, Apr. 7 to Monday, Apr. 10, 2023.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Friday through Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Friday and Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays — including Good Friday – prices are off-peak.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection Friday or Monday. Friday’s material will be collected on Saturday. Monday’s collection moves to Tuesday, and collection moves forward a day for the rest of the week. Sign-up at CityofKingston.ca/collection to receive collection reminders by phone or email – or get the free “Kingston Waste” app on your Apple or Android device.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Friday and Monday. Open Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Kingston Transit: There is no bus service on Friday. Buses will provide regular service hours on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
- Kingston Access Services: No on-road service on Friday, regular service on Saturday and Sunday, with limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information. KAS offices are closed on Friday, and open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday it will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Arts and recreation
- Artillery Park, Rideau Heights Community Centre, and Kingston East Community Centre: Closed Friday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday.
- INVISTA Centre: Open Friday for a tournament, but the fitness centre is closed Friday. Closed Monday, with regular hours Saturday and Sunday
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Friday, Sunday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed on Friday, Sunday and Monday. Open on Saturday from 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at?KingstonGrand.ca.
- Tett Centre: Closed on Friday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday.
Some shops and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Friday, Sunday or Monday. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here is what we know regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Walmart will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Costco will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Staples will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Both Loblaws locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All No Frills locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All Metro locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All Food Basics locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Farm Boy will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- The Foodland location in Amherstview will be open on Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- FreshCo will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Van Wart’s Your Independent Grocer will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All LCBO locations and all Beer Store locations will be closed both Friday and Sunday. Some may have altered hours on Monday, which can be found on their respective websites.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Friday, Sunday, and Monday. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.