Victoria Day weekend is often considered the unofficial kick-off to summer. And this year has more cause for celebration, with the return of in-person community events beginning this weekend and continuing throughout the summer months.
The Downtown Kingston! BIA announced earlier this month that their regular summer events are rolling out this year, after two quiet summers in downtown Kingston. Read what’s happening throughout the summer here.
This weekend, Spring into Summer with Utilities Kingston: On Saturday, May 21, 2022, attend a free family event at Lake Ontario Park. The fun starts at 1 p.m. with daytime activities, and live music. The day concludes with fireworks at 9 p.m.
Don’t forget that City requires Kingston residents to register for a burn permit if outdoor fires are planned, and Kingston Fire and Rescue (KFR) encourage all residents to attend the fireworks display at Lake Ontario Park on Saturday, rather than having a display at home.
“This is a safer and more economical option,” KRF said. “People who decide to set off fireworks must comply with the manufacturer’s instructions (found on packaging) and are asked to read safety guidelines.”
The City of Kingston wishes all residents a safe and happy long weekend, and thanks those people who will be working this weekend to keep our community running.
And, as always, Kingstonist brings you a list of what’s open and closed on the holiday, Victoria Day, Monday, May 23, 2022, as well as information regarding affected City services.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999.) Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays prices are off-peak.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection on Monday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Sign-up at CityofKingston.ca/collection to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Monday.
- Kingston Transit: Buses run on a Sunday schedule on Monday.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
Arts and recreation
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Monday.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Monday. Services and digital collections can be accessed online. Don’t have a library card? Register online.
- CaraCo Home Field and Arenas: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Centre: Closed Monday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library: Closed Monday.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Confederation Basin marinas: Open Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Sunday and Monday. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at kingstongrand.ca.
- Tett Centre: Closed Monday.
- PumpHouse Museum: Closed Monday.
Some shops and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Monday, May 23, 2022. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here is what we know regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Walmart will be open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Costco will be open 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Staples will be closed.
- Both Loblaws locations will be open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- All No Frills locations will be open regular hours.
- All Metro locations will be open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All Food Basics locations will be open regular hours except the Barrack Street location which will close at 6 p.m.
- Farm Boy will be open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Foodland location in Amherstview will be open.
- FreshCo will be open regular hours.
- Van Wart’s Your Independent Grocer will be open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All LCBO locations will be closed.
- Beer Store locations: Dalton Ave, 500 Princess Street, and 1675 Bath Road will be closed while Midland Ave and Concession St will be open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and post offices
Most banks and post offices will be closed Monday, May 23, 2022. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.