Happy Victoria Day weekend, Kingston! Of course, the most important thing for everyone to know is when the fireworks are happening.
This Sunday, May 19, 2019, family-friendly activities – and 9:30 p.m. fireworks – are planned at Lake Ontario Park (920 King St. West). Find the full line-up of performers and activities, starting at 1 p.m., at www.CityofKingston.ca/FeatureEvents. Plan to get to Sunday’s festivities on Kingston Transit, or park at St. Lawrence College or Centre 70 and take the free shuttle. Only accessible parking will be available at Lake Ontario Park.
And, as always, Kingstonist brings you a list of what’s open and closed this on the holiday, Victoria Day, Monday, May 20, 2019, as well as some information regarding affected City services.
CITY OF KINGSTON OFFICES AND SERVICES
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the city’s west and east ends should call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Remember: prices are off-peak for electricity used on weekends and holidays like Victoria Day.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Monday.
- Garbage, green bin, and recycling: You may put out two untagged bags of garbage for your first collection day after Victoria Day. There is no collection on Monday. Collection occurs the day after your regular collection day. (Go to CityofKingston.ca/Collection to find out when your garbage, green bin, and recycling are collected any time.)
- Kingston Transit: Bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Monday (route 18 will run on a weekday schedule). Kingston Transit reminds families that kids 14 and under ride FREE every day.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
ARTS AND RECREATION
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Monday.
- All City of Kingston Arenas: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Centre: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Closed Monday.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Monday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre: Closed Monday.
- Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning: Closed Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Monday.
Many stores and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Monday, May 20 (Victoria Day). Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here’s is what we know for certain regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be open 11:00am – 5:00pm.
- The Frontenac Mall will be closed
- Costco will be open regular business hours – the only Costco in Ontario scheduled to be open on Victoria Day
- Walmart will be open 7:00am – 11:00pm
- Staples will be closed
- Both Loblaws locations will be open from 7:00am – 11:00pm
- Both No Frills locations will be open from 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Both Metro locations will be open from 8:00am – 6:00pm
- All Food Basics locations will be open from 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Foodland Amherstview will be open 24 hours
- Farm Boy will be open from 9:00am – 6:00pm
- FreshCo will be open from 9:00am – 6:00pm
- All Beer Store and LCBO locations will be closed
- Many Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open:
- The 445 Princess Street, 1011 Princess Street, 1201 Division Street, and Bayridge Centre west plaza locations will be open from 8:00am – 12:00am
- The 136 Princess Street, 823 Highway 15, 1875 Bath Road, and 2437 Princess Street (Unit 100) locations will be open from 8:00am – 10:00pm
- The 105 Sutherland Drive location will be open from 8:00am – 2:00pm
- The Cataraqui Town Centre location will be open from 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open. Chez Piggy will be open from 11:30am – 9:00pm. Morrison’s Restaurant will be open from 8:00am – 2:00pm. Pan Chancho bakery will be open from 7:00am – 4:00pm and the cafe will be open from 7:00am – 3:00pm.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Monday, May 20, 2019. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as it happens. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time