Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Ah, Thanksgiving! It’s a time when the leaves on the trees reflect the colours of a brilliant campfire, family and friends gather, safely, of course, to eat all of their favourite holiday foods, and someone ends up fighting with someone else about football or politics.
Thanksgiving tends to be a time of coming together, virtually or in person. The last thing anyone needs during a time meant to be spent with loved ones expressing gratitude is to find themselves at a closed grocery store when they could be in and out of an open one with that bundle of fresh thyme they forgot to pick up during the last trip.
Planning a Thanksgiving celebration this weekend? KFL&A Public Health recommends the following precautions to keep your Thanksgiving holiday safe and to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community:
- Keep your gathering small.
- Take your gathering outdoors or let the outdoors in by opening windows in your home to allow fresh air in and increase air circulation.
- Limit travel and connect virtually with extended family and friends.
- Monitor for symptoms and get tested.
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Give thanks and get your COVID-19 vaccine shot. Immunization appointments and walk-in clinics are still available. Find a full list of clinics running over the holiday weekend on KFL&A Public Health website.
To help you with your planning, we did all the calling and checking to give you this list of what is open and closed, and which services may be affected during the Thanksgiving long weekend.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Monday Oct. 11, 2021.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). A reminder for consumers on time-of-use electricity pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays – like Thanksgiving Day, Oct. 11 – prices are off-peak.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection on Monday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Sign-up to be reminded what to put out when at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection. The Kingston Area Recycling Centre is closed Monday.
- Kingston Transit: Buses run on a Sunday schedule on Monday, Oct. 11, 2021. Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service Monday. Call 613-542-2512.
Arts and recreation
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Monday.
- CaraCo Home Field and Arenas: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Centre/Fitness & Wellness Centre: Closed Monday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library: Closed Monday.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Confederation Basin Marinas: The Confederation Basin Marina office is open. The fueling stations are open at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, but the office will be closed Monday.
- PumpHouse: Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- MacLachlan Woodworking Museum: Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Monday.
- Tett Centre: Closed Monday.
Some shops and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Monday, Oct. 11, 2021. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here is what we know regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Walmart will be open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Costco will be closed.
- The Frontenac Mall will be closed, except for the Food Basics in the mall, which will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Staples will be closed Monday.
- Both Loblaws locations will be open on Monday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The No Frills Division Street location will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the Coverdale Drive location will be closed.
- All Metro locations will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All Food Basics locations will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Farm Boy will be open Saturday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Monday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- FreshCo will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Valumart will be open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- All LCBO locations will be closed and all Beer Store locations will be closed.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Monday. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.