Family Day is nearly here — a long weekend to enjoy with family and friends. With pandemic restrictions gradually lifting, more events and activities are returning to help you celebrate.
However you choose to spend your time, do so safely. To help you enjoy the weekend, we did all the calling and checking to give you this list of what is open and closed, and which services may be affected on Family Day.
Family Day Activities
Looking for fun ways to celebrate? The City of Kingston is offering options for Family Day activities. Find a full listing at CityofKingston.ca/FeatureEvents. The Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning is also offering Family Day programming.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Monday, Feb 21.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays — including Family Day, February 21 – prices are off-peak.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection on Monday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Sign-up at CityofKingston.ca/collection to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email – or get the FREE ‘Kingston Waste’ app on your Apple or Android device.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Monday
- Kingston Transit: Buses run on a Sunday schedule on Monday.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service Monday. Call 613-542-2512.
Arts and recreation
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, Feb 21. These are front desk hours. Programs are running and require pre-registration. View them here.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Monday.
- CaraCo Home Field and Arenas: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Centre: Open Monday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library: Closed Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Monday. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at kingstongrand.ca.
- Tett Centre: Open Monday. Find events and programs at https://www.tettcentre.org/events/family-day-at-the-tett-1.
Some shops and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Monday, Feb. 21, 2022. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here is what we know regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be closed.
- Walmart will be closed.
- Costco will be closed.
- Staples will be closed.
- Both Loblaws locations will be closed
- All No Frills locations will be closed.
- All Metro locations will be closed.
- All Food Basics locations will be closed.
- Farm Boy will be closed.
- The Foodland location in Amherstview will be open on from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- FreshCo will be closed.
- Van Wart’s Your Independent Grocer will be closed.
- All LCBO locations will be closed and all Beer Store locations will be closed.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and Post Offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Monday. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.