The April long weekend is one where it truly starts to feel like spring, and a time when many gather with family and friends for Easter and Passover festivities. That means you have to get your shopping and business done ahead of time, so to help you out, we’ve compiled a list of what is and isn’t open from Friday, Apr. 19 to Monday, Apr. 22, 2019.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Friday through Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Friday through Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). Remember: off-peak pricing applies to electricity used on weekends and holidays including Good Friday.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Friday and Monday. Open Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Garbage, green bin, and recycling: There is no collection on Friday, April 19 or Monday, April 22. Friday’s material will be collected Saturday. Monday’s collection moves to Tuesday and collection moves forward a day for the rest of the week. (Go to CityofKingston.ca/Collection to find out when your garbage, green bin, and recycling are collected any time.)
- Kingston Transit: Bus service will not operate on Friday. Buses run on their usual service schedules on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
- Kingston Access Services: No Service on Friday. Regular service and hours on Saturday and Sunday. Limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
Arts and recreation
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Friday, Sunday and Monday.
- All City of Kingston Arenas: Closed Friday and Monday.
- INVISTA Centre: Closed Friday and Monday.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Closed Friday and Monday.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Friday and Monday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre: Closed Friday and Monday.
- Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning: Closed Friday and Monday. The Juniper Café will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please use the patio entrance.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Friday, Sunday and Monday. Open Saturday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Many stores and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Friday, Apr. 19 (Good Friday), Sunday, Apr. 21 (Easter Sunday), and/or Monday, Apr. 22 (Easter Monday). Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here’s is what we know for certain regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre, the Frontenac Mall, Costco and Walmart will be closed on Friday, Apr. 19, and on Sunday, Apr, 21.
- Staples will be closed Friday, Apr. 19, and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- Both Loblaws location will be closed Friday, Apr. 19, and on Sunday, Apr. 21.
- Both No Frills locations will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- All three Metro locations will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- All Food Basics locations will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- Farm Boy will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- FreshCo will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr.21.
- All Beer Store and LCBO locations will be closed Friday, Apr. 19 and Sunday, Apr. 21.
- Many Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open on throughout the weekend, but with varying hours. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open. Pan Chancho Bakery and Cafe is open all weekend, and Chez Piggy is open all weekend, then closed on Monday.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Friday, Apr. 19, Sunday, Apr. 21, and Monday, Apr. 22. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as it happens. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.