What’s open and closed in Kingston for Easter weekend 2022
The April long weekend is one where it truly starts to feel like spring, and a time when many gather with family and friends for Easter and Passover festivities. We hope you can continue to celebrate safely with loved ones near and far — you can find tips from the Public Health officials of south-eastern Ontario on COVID-19 safety here. And, to help you get your shopping and business done ahead of time, we’ve compiled a list of what is and isn’t open from Friday, Apr. 15 to Monday, Apr. 18, 2022.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Friday through Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Friday and Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays — including Good Friday – prices are off-peak.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection Friday or Monday. Friday’s material will be collected on Saturday. Monday’s collection moves to Tuesday, and collection moves forward a day for the rest of the week. Remove the guess work and consult the waste collection calendar.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Friday and Monday. Open Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Kingston Transit: There is no bus service on Friday. Buses will provide regular service hours on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
- Kingston Access Services: No on-road service on Friday, regular service on Saturday and Sunday, with limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information. KAS offices are closed on Friday. It will be open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday it will be open 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Arts and recreation
- Artillery Park, INVISTA Centre and Kingston East Community Centre: Closed Friday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Friday, Sunday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library: Closed Friday, Sunday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed on Friday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday.
- Tett Centre: Closed on Friday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday.
Some shops and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Friday, Sunday or Monday. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here is what we know regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Walmart will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Costco will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Staples will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Both Loblaws locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All No Frills locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All Metro locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All Food Basics locations will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Farm Boy will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- The Foodland location in Amherstview will be open on Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and closed Sunday.
- FreshCo will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- Van Wart’s Your Independent Grocer will be closed Friday and Sunday.
- All LCBO locations and all Beer Store locations will be closed both Friday and Sunday.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Friday and Sunday. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.