Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Ah, Thanksgiving! It’s a time when the leaves on the trees reflect those of a brilliant campfire, family and friends gather to eat all of their favourite holiday foods, and someone ends up fighting with someone else about football or politics – our money is on the latter this year, what with the federal election upon us!
All joking aside, Thanksgiving tends to be a time of coming together, be it over food, sport, or the first trip back home from school. The last thing anyone needs during a time meant to be spent with loved ones expressing gratitude is to find themselves at a closed grocery store when they could be in and out of an open one with that bundle of fresh thyme Grandma demands, but no one remembered to bring!
With that in mind, we did all the calling and checking for you to give you this list of what is open and closed, and which services may be affected during the Thanksgiving long weekend.
City of Kingston offices and services
- All City administrative offices (including housing and social services and Provincial Offences on Montreal Street): Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage, or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro’s 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999). Remember: off-peak pricing applies to electricity used on weekends and holidays, including Thanksgiving Day.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: No collection on Monday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Sign-up to be reminded what to put out when at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection. The Kingston Area Recycling Centre is closed Monday.
- Kingston Transit: Buses run on a Sunday schedule on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, except for the Route 18, which will run on its regular weekday schedule. Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service Monday. Call 613-542-2512.
Arts and recreation
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library: All branches closed Monday.
- CaraCo Home Field and Arenas: Closed Monday.
- INVISTA Centre/Fitness & Wellness Centre: Closed Monday.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Monday.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library: Closed Monday.
- Libraries: All branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library are closed on Monday.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Confederation Basin Marinas: The Confederation Basin Marina office is open. The fueling stations are open at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, but the office will be closed Monday.
- City Hall: Closed Monday (no tours).
- PumpHouse: Closed Monday.
- MacLachlan Woodworking Museum: Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Open noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday. Administrative offices will also be closed on Monday.
- Tett Centre: Closed Monday.
Many stores and grocery stores will be closed or have reduced hours on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019. Please check with individual locations for store hours. Here’s is what we know for certain regarding closures:
- The Cataraqui Centre will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Walmart will be open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Costco will be closed.
- The Frontenac Mall will be closed, except for the Dollarama in the mall, which will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Staples will be closed Monday.
- Loblaws at the Kingston Centre will be open 24 hours on Monday, and the Midland Avenue location will be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- The No Frills Division Street location will be open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the Coverdale Drive location will be open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Metro Barrie Street location will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., the Gardiners Road location will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Bayridge Drive location will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All Food Basics locations will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Farm Boy will be open Saturday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Monday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- FreshCo will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All LCBO locations will be closed and all Beer Store locations will be closed, except for the Concession Street and the Walmart plaza locations, which will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart locations will be open throughout the weekend for regular hours, but some may vary. Click here to search store hours in Kingston.
- Many downtown Kingston businesses do open on holidays, but all keep their own hours. Call ahead to find out whether your favourite stores or restaurants are open.
Banks and post offices
A majority of banks and post offices will be closed Monday. Call your branch ahead of time to find out.
As always, Kingstonist will be open. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the goings-on in the city, as they happen. We will also be happy to hear from you if there is something you think we should know about. Please reach out to us on Twitter, Facebook or via our contact page any time.