Saturday, Apr. 22, 2023, is the first Giveaway Day of the year for residents in the City of Kingston. A day to put your unwanted household items out for others in the community who might be able to give your items a second life and keep them out of a landfill.
“Giveaway Days are an effective and unique way to reduce waste in Kingston. When you pick up free second-hand items, you not only save them from landfill – you also reduce the waste associated with packaging and the greenhouse gas emissions associated with manufacturing new goods. Giving away items also helps your neighbours save money,” said Adam Mueller, Supervisor of Solid Waste.
The City of Kingston encourages those participating to share pictures of Giveaway Day items on Instagram and Twitter with #WasteNotYGK.
The City asks residents to review the following Giveaway Day guidelines:
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
- Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.’
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back into your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people’s property: don’t walk on people’s lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE’ and placed at the curb.
- Don’t leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people’s property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.