Utilities Kingston says concerned customers have alerted them about suspicious phone calls from an un-named company. The callers are attempting to book an appointment for an in-home assessment of gas and electricity appliances.
According to a release from Utilities Kingston, dated Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020, the callers may:
- be targeting seniors.
- claim to be affiliated with the government, or Environment Canada.
- claim their program is related to COVID-19, to assist low income or unemployed individuals.
- ask to inspect water heaters, furnaces or air conditioners.
Utilities Kingston wishes to assure its customers that:
- It is not affiliated with these companies and is not partnering with them.
- It is committed to providing efficient and reliable water heater rentals.
If you receive a suspicious call or visit to your home:
- Remember, you have the right to ask people to leave your property. If they don’t, then contact police.
- If you receive a suspicious call:
- Do not provide any personal information including Utilities Kingston or credit card account numbers.
- Collect any information possible about the caller.
- Contact Utilities Kingston customer service at 613-546-0000 during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., to report the incident.
- Report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. This agency collects information on fraud and works closely with police to solve these crimes.
- If you become a victim of fraud through monetary loss, call Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.
For more information, go to https://utilitieskingston.com/.