Utilities Kingston warning customers of ongoing phone scam
Utilities Kingston is warning its customers about a phone scam that has been reported by customers in Kingston recently.
According to Utilities Kingston, the scam involves callers pretending to be from Utilities Kingston and demanding immediate payment for utilities.
“This is a scam. Several customers have reported this activity that is also affecting other utilities across Ontario,” Utilities Kingston said in a press release on Wednesday, Apr. 29, 2020.
Customers are reportedly receiving phone calls from scammers using a variety of different numbers, and those contacted through the scam have been threatened with having their utility services disconnected if they do not provide cash payments immediately.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, Utilities Kingston has taken steps to ensure that power to homes and low-volume small businesses cannot be disconnected for non-payment until Friday, Jul. 31, 2020. Anyone who received a message, text, or phone call from someone posing as a Utilities Kingston representative threatening to disconnect their power is advised not to respond. Instead, contact Utilities Kingston directly at 613-546-0000 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you do receive a suspicious call:
- Do not provide any personal information, including Utilities Kingston or credit card account numbers.
- Collect any information you can about the caller.
- Report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. This agency collects information on fraud and works with law enforcement to solve these crimes.
- If you become experience monetary loss as the result of a fraud, call Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.
Reminders for Utilities Kingston Customers:
- Utilities Kingston does not place calls from 1-800 or 1-888 numbers, nor does the company solicit calls to 1-800 or 1-888 numbers.
- Utilities Kingston is currently not disconnecting customers due to non-payment of bills,
- Utilities Kingston requests overdue accounts be paid through Paymentus, its third-party credit card payment provider, or by contacting Utilities Kingston credit and collections department at 613-546-1181 ext. 2278.