Utilities Kingston advises residents of upcoming planned power outage
Utilities Kingston has released a statement advising their customers on Princess Street between Chatham and Nelson Streets of a planned power outage, which will take place next week.
The utility company said the outage is scheduled to take place between 5 and 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 11, 2023. For a map of the affected area, please visit www.UtilitiesKingston.com. Click on Scheduled at the top of the map to see upcoming outages.
“This outage will expand the electrical distribution system to facilitate additional customer connections in the Williamsville area. For the safety of utility crews, equipment must be de-energized to complete the work,” Utilities Kingston said in the statement.
“Weather conditions, emergencies or other factors may prevent work from being conducted on the scheduled date. The alternate date is Tuesday, May 16.”
The utility company provided some tips to help residents during an outage:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your cellphone and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- Plan ahead and consider a source of backup power for important building systems, including sump pumps.
- Do not use a propane barbeque, camp stove or portable standby generator indoors. They can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Your carbon monoxide detector may not work in an outage.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents. Visit the Electrical Safety Authority at esasafe.com for more tips.
- If you depend on electrically powered medical equipment, consider having the following:
- a backup phone that does not require electricity;
- an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) connected at all times;
- back-up generation available; or
- alternative arrangements in place (such as staying with family or friends).
Utilities Kingston said that it apologizes for the inconvenience caused by the power outage. “This work helps to ensure you have a reliable source of electricity,” the company stated.
For more information, visit www.UtilitiesKingston.com or call customer service, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 613-546-0000.