As temperatures drop and winter approaches, coats and warm clothing become a necessity. According to the United Way, many community members rely on donated items to help them keep warm.
Last year, with pandemic restrictions, United Way KFL&A coordinated the annual community coat drive and workplaces and individuals stepped up, donating over 1,000 coats in just two weeks, according to a release from the organization. This year, the United Way is continuing with the coat drive and expanding to include more winter clothing and are hoping the community can help once again.
“Agencies are seeing an increase in need. This is an increase in people using services, as well as needing basic items like coats, boots, socks and warmer clothing,” explained Bhavana Varma, President and CEO, United Way KFL&A. “Over the past year, United Way KFL&A has had great success with community donation drives like the Backpack Program and Tampon Tuesday. Our network and volunteers are amazing at helping with donation drives to get these items to agencies and individuals.”
The United Way is asking workplaces and community members to donate clean, new or gently used coats and boots (coats must be washable only; no leather or heavy wool) and new accessories including new hats, mitts, scarves and socks.
To make drop-offs easy, United Way KFL&A has partnered with Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches as well as Lennox & Addington Library branches. United Way KFL&A will be accepting donations at their office as well.
“Thank you to the libraries for this generous support and volunteering their space. After the drive, volunteers will sort and then items will be distributed to agencies throughout KFL&A,” added Varma. “None of this would be possible without the support of our amazing volunteers and partners and we hope that our always caring and compassionate community will step up once again in donating items.”
Items can be dropped off at collection bins from October 25 to November 5 at the following locations:
- United Way KFL&A Office, 417 Bagot Street (back entrance), Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Calvin Park Branch Library, 88 Wright Crescent, Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fri-Sat 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Central Branch Library, 130 Johnson Street, Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fri-Sat 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Isabel Turner Library, 935 Gardiners Road, Mon-Thu 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fri-Sat 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sydenham Branch Library, 4412 Wheatley Street, Mon 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Tue & Thu 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Fri 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sharbot Lake Branch Library, 1037 Robert Street, Tue & Thu, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.; 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Fri 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lennox & Addington
- Napanee Branch Library, 25 River Road, Mon–Thu 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Fri–Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Amherstview Branch Library, 322 Amherst Drive, Mon–Thu, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Fri–Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information about this year’s Winter Clothing Drive visit: https://www.unitedwaykfla.ca/winterclothingdrive