Kingston Police responded to five domestic incidents on Monday, Sept. 23, 2019, resulting in the arrest of two local men.
At approximately 2:45 p.m., police were called to a domestic assault at the Knights Inn in the city’s west end. The ensuing investigation found that the accused man had struck the female victim across the face multiple times after becoming upset with her for not cooking dinner. Officers on the scene observed injuries on the victim, and the accused man was arrested.
The 67-year-old Kingston man was charged with assault.
On the same day, police learned of two domestic-related incidents involving the female complainant and the accused man. Officers investigating found that the accused man and the complainant had met in Confederation Basin on two different dates – and that the accused had behaved in the same unsavoury manner both times.
“On both occasions, the accused became angry when the complainant was not paying attention to him,” Kingston Police said in a press release on Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019l
On the first date, the accused man grabbed the victim’s cellphone and threw it into the water. On the second date, the accused grabbed the victim’s new cellphone and threw it into the water.
Police located the accused later in the day and he was arrested without incident. The 33-year-old Kingston man was charged with two counts of mischief.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families