Two males arrested after altercation with weapon

Kingston Police have arrested two males following a call from a witness reporting a male brandishing a handgun in the city’s north end.

Kingston Police responding to a call from a witness who believed they’d seen a male fleeing the Division Street and Elliott Avenue area with a handgun on Monday, Apr. 18, 2022. Photo by Cris Vilela.

According to police, the incident – which involved an 18-year-old man and a 34-year-old man – began before police were contacted when, at approximately 5 p.m. on Monday, Apr. 18, 2022, the 34-year-old man entered the property of an Elliott Avenue residence without authorization from any of the property residents.

“This had been an ongoing issue with the accused [man] entering onto the property without consent,” Kingston Police said in a press release the following day.

On this instance, the 18-year-old male in question – one of the residents of that property – confronted the 34-year-old, according to police.

The 18-year-old was upset that the 34-year-old had come onto the property, and chased him from the area while holding a “Glock pellet gun, which realistically resembled a handgun in appearance,” Kingston Police said. The younger male chased the older male north onto Division Street, where a physical altercation ensued. During that time, the 18-year-old struck the 34-year-old in the head “a number of times” with the pellet pistol he was holding.

Just moments after the altercation began, a witness called police and reported observing a male fleeing the scene on Division Street with a handgun. Police responded to the call, and further investigation found that the 18-year-old had returned to his residence. At approximately 5:05 p.m., he was arrested, and police seized the pellet gun. He was taken to Kingston Police headquarters, where he was later released on conditions with a future court date, according to police.

As a result, Brock Smith, 18, of Kingston, was charged with assault with a weapon, and possession of an imitation weapon for committing an offence.

Police also located the 34-year-old man who’d been assaulted by Smith. While being questioned, the man became “extremely uncooperative,” Kingston Police said.

The investigation found that the 34-year-old man had been attending the property in question on a near-daily basis and loitering in the backyard.

“He would not leave when requested to do so, which had made the residents feel uncomfortable and ultimately prevented them from using their own backyard,” police said.

At approximately 5:40 p.m., the man was arrested and taken to Kingston Police headquarters, where he was later released on conditions with a future court date. As a result, the 34-year-old Kingston man was charged with mischief under $5,000, and willfully interfering with the lawful use of property.

Editorial note: The reason Smith’s name was released, while the name of the other male arrested was not, is due to the nature of the crimes they are respectively accused of. Smith is charged with ‘assault with a weapon,’ a serious offence, while the 34-year-old man is charged with offences that are more minor in nature. According to Kingston Police, the names of those arrested are only released when the charges against them meet the threshold for being considered a very serious crime, such as assault with a weapon, murder, arson, kidnapping, or robbery.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!