Three men charged in relation to car surfing incident in late May

Scene of the investigation on Brock Street on Monday, May 28, 2018, following a serious incident involving car surfing.
Photo by First Response Media.

The investigation into a car surfing incident on Monday, May 28, 2018 has resulted in the three area men being arrested and charged.

The incident ended with serious and on-going injuries for a 23-year-old local man, who will be referred to as the victim. The three men arrested and charged are: a 22-year-old local man, a 23-year-old local man, and an 18-year-old man from Verona.

According to Kingston Police, the investigation revealed that, on the evening of Sunday, May 27, the victim and the accused parties were drinking and socializing at their workplace with a group of downtown restaurant employees.

Several hours later, at approximately 2:45 a.m., the 22-year-old accused male was driving a vehicle on Brock Street towards Division Street. The 23-year-old accused was a passenger in the vehicle, while the 18-year-old accused was holding on to the vehicle from behind while skateboarding. The victim was body surfing on the roof.

The victim fell off the roof of the moving vehicle and struck his head. The 18-year-old on the skateboard checked on the victim, and then entered the vehicle and fled the scene with the other two men.

Once Kingston Police and Frontenac Paramedics were on the scene, the three accused males returned, and provided statements. However, it was later determined that information was false and misleading.

At the time, the victim was rushed to Kingston General Hospital, and ended up in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), and the Kingston Police Traffic Unit shut down Brock Street from Barrie Street to Division Street. The section of Brock Street remained closed until 9 a.m. on May 28.

On Wednesday, Jun. 13, the 18-year-old skateboarder was arrested, and the 23-year-old passenger was arrested on Wednesday, Jul. 4. Both were charged with being an accessory to criminal negligence and obstructing police.

On Thursday, Jul. 5, the 22-year-old driver was arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, criminal negligence causing bodily harm, and leaving the scene of an accident/failing to assist.

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!