Three facing charges after attempted throw-over at Bath Institution
Three people have been arrested after a report of individuals attempting to throw contraband over the exterior wall at the Bath Correctional Institution.
At approximately 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Apr. 12, 2022, officers with the Lennox & Addington (L&A) County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to the Bath Institution in Loyalist Township. According to a release from the OPP, officers arrived on scene and learned that Correctional Officers had apprehended three suspects. A loaded firearm had also been seized.
L&A County OPP, the OPP Emergency Response Team, OPP Canine Unit, OPP Penitentiary Squad, and the Correctional Service of Canada all assisted in securing the area.
As a result of an investigation, L&A County OPP have charged Shaqwan James, age 22, of North York, a 16-year-old male from Oshawa, and a 17-year-old male from Ajax, with:
- Conspiracy to Commit Indictable Offence
- Mischief – Interfere with lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property-under $5000
- Possession for the purpose of distributing
- Trespasses at a penitentiary
The 17-year-old was also charged with two counts of Fail to Comply with Sentence
The 16-year-old was additionally charged with:
- Obstruct Peace Officer
- Carrying concealed weapon
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle knowing there was Firearm
- Possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Possession of a firearm, prohibited or restricted weapon obtain by crime
- Transfer Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon without Authority
- Careless storage of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited device or ammunition
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
- Breach of Firearms Regulation – transport firearm or restricted weapon
All accused are being held in custody pending a bail hearing, OPP said.