Suspect facing multitude of charges following lengthy stand-off

Police packing up their gear after being at the scene of a standoff for over 24 hours. Photo by Daniel Tastard-Homer/Kingstonist.

A lengthy incident, which closed a major artery through the city of Kingston, was resolved peacefully in the afternoon of Friday, Sept. 9, 2022.

Around 12:45 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2022, Kingston Police responded to a report of an assault with a weapon, which occurred on a Kingston Transit bus in the area of the Kingston Centre.

According to a media release from Kingston Police on Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, the suspect identified in this incident boarded a Kingston Transit bus in the area of Hillendale Avenue at Princess Street. After boarding, the accused reportedly got into a verbal altercation with another individual on the bus. According to police, the altercation turned violent and resulted in the accused stabbing the other individual.

The bus was stopped at the Kingston Centre terminal, where the accused exited and fled on foot. The 40-year-old victim was transported to hospital, where they received treatment for a stab wound to their abdomen. According to the police, the victim is currently in stable condition.

The accused, who was identified by police, was located at approximately 2:30 p.m. inside their apartment located at the corner of Portsmouth Avenue and Princess Street. According to the release, the accused refused to exit their apartment, and police began negotiations with the accused in an attempt to resolve the incident peacefully.

During the course of the negotiations, the accused fired a shot from a high-powered rifle at officers, which resulted in one officer being struck by shrapnel from the shot. The officer was transported by Frontenac Paramedics to the hospital where they received treatment and were later released.

According to Kingston Police, at approximately 4:20 a.m. the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Tactics and Rescue Unit were called to provide relief and assistance to Kingston Police officers who had been on scene for an extended period.

Members of the Kingston Police and the OPP remained on scene throughout the day on Friday, Sept. 9, 2022, in an attempt to negotiate the accused’s peaceful surrender.

Shortly after 5 p.m. on Friday, the accused peacefully surrendered to police and was taken into custody, according to Kingston Police. The accused was transported to Kingston Police headquarters and held for a bail hearing. According to the release, the accused was then remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in court at a later date. Members of the Kingston Police remained on scene “to complete a thorough investigation.”

Barry Scott Wood, 55 years old, was charged with the following offences:

  • Two counts of aggravated assault
  • Possession of weapons dangerous
  • Assault with a weapon
  • Careless use of a firearm,
  • Pointing a firearm
  • Possession of a weapon for the purpose of committing an offence
  • Possession of a firearm without holding a license
  • Discharge a firearm with the intent to wound or endanger life

As a result of this incident, numerous residents of the apartment building were displaced. According to the release, these residents were offered on-scene support from Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac with the assistance of Kingston Transit.

The area of Princess Street and Portsmouth Avenue was closed to traffic from approximately 4 a.m., shortly after the suspect fired on the officers, until just after 5 p.m. and the suspect’s surrender.

The Kingston Police wish to thank members of the Ontario Provincial Police, Frontenac Paramedics, Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac as well as Kingston Transit for their assistance in this matter. The Kingston Police also wish to thank the public for their patience and understanding during this incident.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!