fbpx

Suspect facing attempted murder, aggravated assault charges after knife, machete attacks

Kingston Police say that the suspect involved in a knife attack on board a Kingston Transit bus is the same suspect wanted in relation to another violent attack the previous evening.

Photo by Lucas Mulder

According to police, on December 22, 2020 at approximately 7:00 p.m. an altercation and subsequent assault occurred at a midtown Kingston motel. In the hallway, a male became argumentative and confrontational with two male victims, managers of the location.

The suspect then proceeded to punch both of the victims multiple times in the head and face. Both victims attempted to defend themselves, at which time the accused brandished a machete and began swinging it at them. Both victims were struck and injured with the machete prior to the accused fleeing from the scene.

Photo by Lucas Mulder

Kingston Police responded but were unable to locate the accused. Both victims, 31 and 67 years of age, were transported to Kingston General Hospital by Frontenac Paramedics with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

The next day, on the morning of December 23, 2020 the male suspect got onto a Kingston Transit bus on Montreal Street in downtown Kingston. A 37-year-old passenger was already seated on the bus and, according to Kingston Police, had no interactions with the accused during their commute.

When the bus was in the area of Princess Street and Bagot Street, police say the accused pulled a knife from the bag that he had been carrying and, without provocation, proceeded to stab the victim in the chest. The suspect then took the victim’s backpack that he had had with him and fled off of the bus.

Photo by Jessica Foley

At approximately 10:07 a.m. Kingston Police responded to the scene and quickly located the accused on a second Kingston Transit bus in the area of Brock Street. Police say they effected a gunpoint takedown and subsequently arrested the accused. The accused was transported to police headquarters where he will be held to attend a future bail hearing.

The male victim was transported to Kingston General Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

Photo by Jessica Foley

“It has been determined through investigation that the accused is responsible for both the machete attack on December 22 and today’s December 23 stabbing on the Kingston Transit bus,” said Ash Gutheinz, Kingston Police Media Relations Officer, in a press release.

Gutheinz says that a 29-year-old local man with no fixed address has been charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, and breach of probation, stemming from the incident at the motel, and stemming from the violent incident on board the Kingston Transit bus, the accused is also facing charges of attempted murder, robbery, possession of a weapon for committing an offence and breach of probation.

Anyone with information in regards to the motel attack (Incident # 20-47453) is asked to please contact Detective Gregory at 613-549-4660 ext. 6342 or via email at ngrego[email protected] Anyone with information relating to the stabbing on the Kingston Transit bus (Incident # 20-47516) is asked to contact Detective Wein at 613-549-4660 ext. 6198 or via email at [email protected]
You can also provide tips anonymously by calling the Kingston Police general number 613-549-4660 ext. 0 and asking to remain anonymous.

0 Shares

Leave a Reply