The young athletes with Trillium Gymnastics Club continued their winning streak this past weekend when two 14-year-old gymnasts clinched the Gold and Silver positions at the Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) Provincial Championships.
Seven Trillium gymnasts in total travelled to Dorchester, Ont. for the WAG 2019 Level 6 (Age 14) Provincial Championships on Saturday, Apr. 13, and Sunday, Apr. 14, 2019. There, Alex Duggan was awarded Gold and was named the Provincial All Around Champion in Level 6. Ensuring Trillium gymnasts also filled the second place on the podium, Kaylee Molleson earned the Silver Medal All Around in the same category.
“The hard work and dedication that all of you show each and every day is remarkable, and you should be proud of your accomplishments at the Provincial Championships,” said Shelley Lee, head coach at Trillium Gymnastics.
The seven Trillium gymnasts that competed in the Provincial Championships were eligible to compete based on their standings from three previous qualifying meets. The athletes all showcased routines in four events, including Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam, and Floor Exercise. All of their results are as follows:
- Alex Duggan (Age 14): Gold Medal All Around Provincial Champion
- Kaylee Molleson (Age 14): Silver Medalist All Around
- Nicole Nelson (Age 14): 4th on Vault and Balance Beam, 5th All Around
- Norah Crighton (Age 14): 11th on Vault, 27th All Around
- Kailyn Amey (Age 15+): 3rd on Vault, 12th All Around
- Daley Clarke (Age 13): 3rd on Uneven Bars, 4th All Around
- Maddie Twigg (Age 10): 10th on Floor, 16th All Around
This winning weekend came after another successful competition the previous weekend from Friday, Apr. 5 to Sunday, Apr. 7, 2019. Then, at the WAG Level 7-10 Provincial Championships held in Amherstburg, Ont., Paige Cassidy won gold and was name the Provincial All Around Champion in Level 7 (Age 16+). Cassidy will represent Team Ontario and compete at the Eastern Canadian Championships in PEI from Wednesday, May 8 to Sunday, May 12, 2019. Additionally, Jesse Weaver was awarded the Silver Medal in Level 9 on Balance Beam.
Cassidy and Weaver were two of four Trillium Gymnastics athletes that competed in the Provincial Championships, which they’d all qualified for based on their standings from three previous qualifying meets. They competed in four events, including Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam, and Floor Exercise. All of their results are as follows:
- Paige Cassidy (Age 16+): Provincial All Around Champion (Gold)
- Sydney Campbell (Age 16+): 6th on Balance Beam, 6th All Around
- Pyper Woodman (Age 15): 4th on Balance Beam, 10th All Around
- Sarah Furtado (Age 12): 6th on Vault & Uneven Bars, 7th All Around
- Jesse Weaver (Age 16+): Silver Medalist on Balance Beam, 13th All Around
Congratulations to all the Trillium gymnasts that qualified to compete in the WAG Provincial Championships, and for the outstanding results! Good luck to those Level 3-5 Trillium Gymnasts who will complete in their 3rd and final qualifying meet in Richmond Hill from Thursday, Apr. 25 to Saturday, Apr. 27, 2019. Level 3-5 gymnasts that qualify will then compete at the Level 3-5 Provincial Championships taking place in early June.
Trillium Gymnastics Club is a not-for-profit, parent volunteer supported gymnastics club established in 1984, offering recreational, pre-competitive, and competitive programs for all ages.