The Township of South Frontenac is closing all indoor rental facilities, as well as their administrative offices in Sydenham at 4432 George Street, and at 2490 Keeley Rd., to the public temporarily, until at least January 4, 2022.
According to a release from the Township, this closure is in response to the rising cases of COVID-19 in the KFL&A region and the introduction of the new Omicron variant, as well as the message from Dr. Piotr Oglaza, Medical Officer of Health at KFL&A Public Health and partners at Kingston Health Science Centre (KHSC) which urges residents to stay vigilant and take heightened safety precautions wherever possible and work together to help slow the growing COVID-19 case count in order to protect local hospitals and their ability to meet patients’ needs.
While these offices will be closed to the public, most municipal services will continue to be delivered and public communications via telephone, email and drop box will remain in place during regular business hours, according to the release.
As a result of these closures and the broader COVID-19 outbreak, the following changes to Township service delivery will take effect as of Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021:
- Treasury staff will remain available to respond to inquires via phone at 613-376-3027 ext. 2200 or via email at [email protected].
- Payments can be made via online banking, credit card, telephone banking, mail, or by leaving a cheque in the drop box located at 4432 George St., in Sydenham. More information about payment options and pre-authorized payment plans can be found online.
- During the closure, 2022 Dog Tags can be purchased at one of five local retailers: Sydenham One Stop, Asselstine Hardware, RONA Hardware, Inverary Hardware, and Perth Road General Store.
- Planning & Building Staff will remain available to respond to inquiries and to assist in the preparation of applications via email, phone, and through intake forms on the Township website. Materials related to ongoing applications and preparation of new applications can be transmitted electronically.
- South Frontenac Building Inspectors will follow the following inspection protocol:
- COVID-19 pre-screening questions will be asked at the time inspections are booked;
- Inspectors will ask COVID-19 screening questions on site;
- Inspections within occupied dwellings will not be completed at this time, unless the inspection is related to an immediate health and safety concern.
- Building permit and Planning applications can continue to be submitted via mail, or in person using the drop box located at 4432 George St., Sydenham. Application fees can be submitted via mail or drop box. Questions can be directed 613-376-3027 ext. 2226 or emailed to [email protected] or [email protected].
- The Township will be closing all municipally owned facilities to the public until at least January 4, 2022. Any individuals who had a booking during this time will be contacted.
- Administrative Staff will continue to respond to inquiries via phone and email. Should you have any Public Services related questions, please contact 613-376-3027 ext. 4431 or [email protected].
- Public Works operations remain unchanged and all winter road maintenance standards will continue to be met.
- Regular hours, including holiday hours, apply at both the Loughborough Waste Disposal Site and Portland Waste Disposal Site. For the safety of our front-line staff, please follow all posted signage and continue to practice physical distancing. Garbage & Recycling pick up will continue as scheduled.
- Our Hazardous Waste Facility on Keeley Road will continue to be open from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm on regularly scheduled days. Upcoming dates include January 13 and 27, 2021.
Council and Committee Meetings
- Council, Committee of the Whole, and Committee of Adjustment meetings will continue to be held virtually. Residents can learn more and register for meetings through the Event Calendar on the Township’s website.
To ease the burden on the local health care system and ensure the community can continue to see emergency and time-sensitive care, KFL&A Public Health are urgently asking everyone to:
- Get fully vaccinated when you are eligible to help protect those most vulnerable and keep your neighbours, friends, and family members out of the hospital.
- Get your third dose or booster as soon as you are eligible.
- Screen for symptoms of COVID-19 daily.
- Stay home, isolate, and get tested if you have any symptoms, even mild symptoms.
- If you are a close-contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case but have not yet been contacted by public health, please self-isolate and get tested.
- Change your social habits. Avoid social gatherings and limit visiting others or having visitors.
- Take physical distancing seriously. Stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with and wear a mask in indoor spaces.
- Consider curbside pick-up, delivery, or alternate hours for shopping if you are at a higher risk for illness.
Administrative Offices at 4432 George St. will follow regular holiday hours and close on December 24, 2021, at 12 noon, and reopen Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022, at 8 a.m. to provide services via phone, email, and mail correspondence. To reach the Public Services Department during this time, please call 613-376-3027 ext. 4331.
“Residents’ cooperation and patience is appreciated during this time,” the Township stated. “It is the goal of Council and staff of the Township to continue to provide quality services under these challenging circumstances while also keeping residents and staff safe. The community has shown amazing resilience and strength during the pandemic, please continue to stay strong and vigilant over the winter season.”