The following is a message from the Township of South Frontenac regarding Halloween festivities:
With October 31st just around the corner, the Township is reminding residents to once again stay vigilant when taking part in Halloween festivities and gatherings this year.
In preparation for the fall season, the Province of Ontario released guidelines on how to celebrate safely in relation to COVID-19. As such, the Province and KFL&A Public Health are encouraging residents to observe the following public health recommendations in order to keep yourself and your family safe this Halloween:
- Stay home and do not trick-or-treat or hand out candy if you have symptoms, even if they are mild.
- Trick-or-treat outdoors as much as possible.
- Trick-or-treaters and people handing out candy should wear face coverings. A costume mask is not a substitute face covering and should not be worn over a face covering as it may make it difficult to breathe.
- Do not crowd doorsteps – take turns one at a time, and keep interactions brief.
- Do not sing or shout for your treats.
- Whether collecting or handing out treats, use hand sanitizer often, especially before and after handling your face covering, after touching frequently touched surfaces, when you arrive home, and before and after handling or eating treats.
- Give out only purchased and packaged treats.
- There is no need to clean or disinfect pre-packaged treats.
- Do not leave treats in a bucket or bowl for children to grab and consider using tongs or other similar tools to hand out treats.
- Drive safely – children may cross the street without checking for oncoming traffic.
- Be kind and respectful this Halloween as not everyone may feel safe interacting with trick-or-treaters this year.
In addition to the above recommendations, the Township will be closing Sydenham Mill Street in the village from George Street to Brewery Street from 6 pm to 8 pm on Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021, to allow for safe, socially distanced trick-or-treating. Questions about this closure can be directed to Emily Caird, at 613-376-3027 ext.2260 or via email to [email protected].
For families in South Frontenac looking for other festive ways to celebrate Halloween, residents are encouraged to decorate their yards and houses and enter the Spooky South Frontenac house decorating contest. Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges in the following categories; Spookiest, Give ‘Em Pumpkin to Talk About (best jack-o-lantern display), and Bold & Boo-tiful (best fall-themed display).
The highest-ranking house in each category will win a $75 gift certificate to a local business of their choosing. Entry to the contest closes Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2021, and participants must have their display operational every evening from October 29 – 31. For more contest details and to enter, visit our website at www.southfrontenac.net/spooky/.
Best wishes for a safe and happy Halloween from South Frontenac Council and Staff!