The Township of South Frontenac is beginning the process of developing a Recreation, Parks and Leisure Master Plan. The purpose of the plan is to provide the Township with long-term direction for the provision of recreation and parks services to community residents and visitors, according to a release from the Township, dated Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021.
“The Recreation, Parks and Leisure Master Plan will be a vital working document that will guide Staff and the Recreation Committees,” says Supervisor of Recreation, Tim Laprade. “It will support us in providing recommendations to Council so they can make informed decisions that are not only tailored to the needs of South Frontenac, but are also evidence based and align with best practices in the industry.”
The Township says they have hired a consulting team, led by thinc design, to prepare the Plan. The process includes a broad-based consultation program, reflecting the Township’s interest in extensive community participation in preparing the Master Plan, according to the release. In upcoming months, the community will be invited to participate in a variety of consultation activities including:
- a random telephone survey of households, to be conducted by Oraclepoll Research Ltd., with the same survey being made available via a link on the Township’s website for those who do not get a call;
- two web-based surveys for organizations: one for volunteer program / activity groups such as arena and playing field users, and a second for service clubs and organizations, for which groups will receive an emailed letter and survey link from the Township;
- interviews and focus groups with individuals, agencies and groups, who will be contacted to request their participation in scheduled discussion sessions;
- two online/virtual open houses at key points in the study to provide input and review the draft report;
- opportunities for all to provide comments / feedback on-line using Bang The Table, an online engagement service in use by the County and other Frontenac Townships; and
- through the Recreation, Parks and Leisure Master Plan webpage found at www.southfrontenac.net/en/things-to-do/recreation-parks-leisure-master-plan.aspx
The Township says each of these consultation activities will investigate the community’s needs and interests for new and/or improved parks, recreation facilities and programs. According to the release, reports will be prepared at various points in the process and will inform the final Master Plan document.
“I encourage all residents to participate in the development of this plan and get involved using the many engagement opportunities that will be available,” says South Frontenac Mayor, Ron Vandewal. “This will be a community driven plan that will allow us to better understand our needs right now and anticipate strategic investments in the future to support social, recreation and cultural opportunities as our communities grow.”
The Township says notices about open house dates, when the online resident survey will be posted, and how to access it, will be circulated throughout the community via local media, the Township’s email distribution lists, website and social media accounts, and postings at municipal facilities.