Road closures and traffic delays, week ending Feb 11, 2022
The following is a selection of the most significant road closures and expected traffic delays in and around the city of Kingston for the week ending Feb. 11, 2022. Full lists of closures and delays provided by the City of Kingston and the MTO can be viewed here and here.
At Front Road and King Street West from Sand Bay Lane to Country Club Drive, drivers should expect significant delays due to east- and west-bound lane restrictions through 2022. A contractor is installing water and wastewater infrastructure on behalf of Utilities Kingston.
Delays on Grenadier Drive at Windfield Crescent continue to occur while construction takes place around the Kingston East Community Centre site. Flag-people will be on-site to direct traffic. The sidewalk on the south side of Grenadier Drive at Windfield Crescent may be restricted weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. A flag-person will be on-site to direct traffic and assist pedestrians.
Multiple closures on King Street:
- The street will be closed from Clarence to Brock until Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. for the enjoyment an interactive installation called Impulse in and around Springer Market Square. Read our coverage of this event here.
- King St. West from Front to Auld will be closed until June 29, 2022, for the construction of Utilities Kingston’s Portsmouth Pumping Station flow direction project and Front Road trunk watermain Phase 2 project.
Market Street from Ontario to King will be closed until Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. also for the Impulse event.
Expect a lane closure along Princess Street between Westbrook and Collins Bay/Cataraqui Woods until April 30 from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day for the installation of turtle fencing. Please note that flag persons will be on-site managing the traffic and one lane of traffic will be maintained.
The City has closed access to the Portsmouth Waterfront Pathway at the foot of Mowat Avenue and Yonge Street and east of Lakewatch Lane, to accommodate pathway and shoreline improvements.
School and Play Street Initiative Closures:
- School Streets – These streets will be closed on school days from 8:40 a.m. to 9:10 a.m. and 3:20 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. until June 29, 2022. Inquiries can be directed to KCAT at [email protected]:
- MacDonnell Street – Earl to Hill
- Play Street – Cheryl Place will be closed using barricades and will be staffed by KCAT, which will manage essential vehicle access and access to driveways. This closure will reoccur on Tuesdays 6 to 7 p.m. and Saturdays 1 to 3 p.m. through Aug. 26, 2022.
Third Crossing roadwork on Highway 15 at Gore Road
- The Pittsburgh Library sidewalk will be open to the public for use north of Gore Road. Signage will be set up to guide pedestrian/vehicular access to and from the library.
- Highway 15, Gore Road, and Pittsburgh Library entrance will be open for unimpeded traffic use until Spring 2022, when onstruction is expected to resume.
- The NE corner of the Hwy 15/Gore Rd sidewalk will be closed until Spring 2022 for safety during the winter. The sidewalk detour will be maintained through MacLean Park to Honeywood Ave. and to Greenwood Park Trail. A sidewalk closure sign will remain in place with a detour route attached.
- Review designs of the east shore roadwork on the Third Crossing website.
Lower Brewers Swing Bridge – closed until further notice. Temporary bridge closure signs have been installed and detour signs will be installed shortly. Parks Canada is continuing with their efforts to replace the bridge over the upcoming winter.
- For access to Washburn Road (East of the Bridge): Washburn Road East of the bridge to Highway 15 remains open to local traffic only. Traffic from Washburn Road (West of the bridge), Sonneveld Road and Sunbury Road are directed to use Detour D-1 (Regional Road 12 – Sunbury Road East – Highway 15 South)
- For access to Washburn Road (West of the Bridge): Washburn Road East of Sonneveld Road and West of the Bridge remains open to local traffic only. Traffic from Highway 15 are directed to use Detour D-1 (Regional Road 12 – Sunbury Road West)