A little over a year later, the government of Ontario has released the most popular baby names for 2019.
According to a release from the provincial government dated Monday, Jan. 11, 2021, Ontario registered 933 baby girls named Olivia, closing the decade as one of the most consistently popular names in the province. Charlotte came in as the second-most popular name for girls. The government said there were 841 Noahs registered in Ontario last year making it the top choice for boys, with Liam in second place.
The top five names for girls and boys respectively in 2019 were:
Here in Kingston, we march to our own beat when it comes to baby names. None of the first babies born each year, from 2019 to 2021, were given any of these popular names:
- Kingston’s First Baby of 2019
- Kingston’s First Babies of 2020
- Kingston welcomes the first baby of 2021
The provincial government says parents should register their child’s birth within 30 days of welcoming their newborns. Register births online with ServiceOntario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-birth-new-baby
Registering through the link above allows parents to apply for a birth certificate, a Social Insurance Number, and Canada Child Benefits, including the Ontario Child Benefit and Education Savings Referral service.
- ServiceOntario’s 5-in-1 Newborn Bundle was the first of its kind in Canada when it launched in 2007.
- More than 1.6 million births of newborns have been registered in Ontario using the service.