A traffic stop in Picton led to multiple charges for a driver whose license is currently under suspension.
Shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023, members of the Prince Edward County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted the traffic stop on Lake Street in Picton and spoke with a driver. According to a release from the OPP, a standard field sobriety test was administered and, as a result, the driver was transported to the detachment for further testing.
The driver, Dustin Kinmond, age 30 from Trenton, was found to be prohibited from driving and was charged with the following offences:
- Operating a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol and drugs
- Three counts of operating a motor vehicle while prohibited under the Criminal Code
- Failure or refusal to comply with a demand
- Driving while under suspension
- Driving a vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available
- Two counts of smoking tobacco in a motor vehicle while another person less than 16 years old is present
According to the release, Kinmond was held for a bail hearing before the Ontario Court of Justice on Wednesday, Mar. 1, 2023.
“Highway safety is a team sport, do your part and plan a safe ride home,” the OPP said.