Local post-secondary students are encouraged to share their ideas to help make Kingston a better place for the 2023 Mayor’s Innovation Challenge. This is the sixth year for the challenge, which provides a unique opportunity for current or recently graduated post-secondary students to apply their knowledge to real-world issues and help shape the future of Kingston.
According to a release from the City of Kingston, the winning team members gain an invaluable opportunity to launch their careers by tackling an issue they’re passionate about while working alongside municipal and academic leaders.
“For the last five years that we’ve hosted the Challenge, we have been consistently impressed by the creative solutions proposed by local post-secondary students to meet the challenges and opportunities ahead,” said Mayor Bryan Paterson. “I look forward to hearing this year’s pitches for bright ideas to further enhance our city.”
Current students and recent grads from Queen’s University, St. Lawrence College, and Royal Military College are invited to develop a two-to-three-minute video proposal that presents an innovative project which:
- could be implemented in Kingston and contributes to the quality of life of residents
- leverages emerging technologies or develops new ways to enhance the delivery of municipal services
According to the release, proposals that are shortlisted will be invited to present their ideas at the Pitch Competition on Friday, Mar. 10, 2023, at City Hall to a panel of leaders with expertise in municipal government, entrepreneurship, and innovation.
The City provided the following key dates for the challenge:
- Join the City of Kingston and Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre for a one-hour online information session on Thursday, Jan. 26 or Monday, Jan. 30, 2023, or email [email protected] to schedule a consultation. Participants only need to register for one session.
- Submit a proposal by Sunday, Feb. 26, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
- Shortlist invited to student pitch competition; successful teams will be notified by Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023.
- Student pitch competition on Friday, Mar. 10, 2023.