Local post-secondary students are encouraged to share their ideas to help make Kingston a better place for the 2024 Mayor’s Innovation Challenge. This is the seventh year for the challenge, which provides a unique opportunity for current or recently graduated post-secondary students to apply their knowledge to real-world issues and help shape the future of Kingston.
According to a release from the City of Kingston, the winning team members will have an opportunity to gain valuable experience through paid internships with the City of Kingston or a chance to turn their idea into a business venture with seed funding from the Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre.
“I’m thrilled to kick off the new year by launching applications for the seventh annual Mayor’s Innovation Challenge,” said Mayor Bryan Paterson. “Year after year, we’ve seen this competition prompt inspiring and thoughtful proposals from post-secondary students in Kingston. I look forward to seeing how this year’s applicants use creative problem-solving to meet existing challenges and find new opportunities to enhance our community.”
Current students and recent grads from Queen’s University, St. Lawrence College, and Royal Military College are invited to develop a two-to-three-minute video proposal that presents an innovative project which:
- could be implemented in Kingston and contributes to the quality of life of residents
- leverages emerging technologies or develops new ways to enhance the delivery of municipal services
According to the release, shortlisted proposal creators will be invited to present their ideas at the Pitch Competition on Friday, Mar. 8, 2024, at City Hall to a panel of leaders with expertise in municipal government, entrepreneurship, and innovation.
The City provided the following key dates for the challenge:
- Interested participants can register for one of the following workshops:
- Submit a proposal by Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024, at 11:59 p.m.
- Shortlist invited to student pitch competition; successful teams will be notified by Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024.
- Student pitch competition on Friday, Mar. 8, 2024.