Kingston residents in the CFB Kingston and Barriefield Village areas will experience a three-hour planned power outage beginning at 8 a.m. on Sunday, May 29, 2022.
According to Utilities Kingston, the planned power outage is necessary to allow workers to install new overhead electrical distribution lines and equipment on behalf of Kingston Hydro Corporation, the local electricity distributor. For the safety of utility crews, equipment must be de-energized to complete the work, the utility company stated.
A map of the affected area is available at https://power.utilitieskingston.com/Outages. Select “scheduled map or list” from the blue ribbon.
In a media release, Utilities Kingston said they are committed to managing and maintaining local infrastructure to ensure reliable utility services, and to support the growth and development of the local community. “The project helps to ensure a reliable source of electricity to its electricity customers,” they said.
Utilities Kingston has provided the following tips to help you and your family during an outage:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your cellphone and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- Plan ahead and consider a source of backup power for important building systems, including sump pumps.
- Do not use a propane barbecue, camp stove or portable standby generator indoors. They can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Your carbon monoxide detector may not work in an outage.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents. Visit the Electrical Safety Authority at esasafe.com for more tips.
- If you depend on electrically-powered medical equipment, consider having the following:
- a backup phone that does not require electricity
- an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) connected at all times
- backup generation available
- alternative arrangements in place (such as staying with family or friends).
For more information, Utilities Kingston customers are invited to contact customer service, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 613-546-0000.