Due to the ongoing hot and dry conditions, Kingston Fire & Rescue (KFR) has issued a partial open air burn ban today, Wednesday July 8, 2020.
Burning wood waste and/or brush is prohibited under this partial burn ban.
Small, controlled fires are permitted. Fires no larger than 45cm wide by 45cm high that follow the guidelines put in place by the City of Kingston are allowed within city limits.
Kingston Fire and Rescue would like to remind the public of the following:
- Remove all vegetation and other material that could spread the fire.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Keep your fire on a non-combustible surface and away from structures.
- Have an adequate supply of water available to extinguish or control the fire.
- Pay attention to wind conditions, smoke and potential spark hazards.
- To be cautious when disposing of smoking materials.
Potential fines for those found violating this burn ban could reach $50,000.
KFR will continue to monitor weather conditions and fire risk. Burn ban updates and guidelines regarding open air burning and burn bans are available at www.CityofKingston.ca/residents/emergency-services/kingston-fire-rescue/open-air-burning.