The seizure of thousands of cannabis plants by Members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) in Tyendinaga Township occurred earlier this week.
According to a release dated Friday, Sept. 4, 2020, CSCU officers, along with members of the Lennox and Addington OPP Detachment, OPP Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau (OCEB) and OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) executed a warrant on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, at a location on Deseronto Road.
Investigators seized nearly 3000 cannabis plants, nearly $5000 Canadian currency and a variety of equipment used for production of cannabis, OPP say.
This is the second seizure of cannabis plants in Tyendinaga Township this week. Coverage of the previous warrant execution can be read here.
Eight people were arrested in the area. Charged are:
- Biyun Chen, age 50, of Welland ON;
- Chong yuan Chen, age 36, of Barrie ON;
- Zhenjia Chen, age 68 of Markham On;
- Feng Yang Li, age 54, of Markham ON;
- Jun Guang Lin, age 54 of Tyendinaga Township, ON;
- Gangfeng Liu, age 51, of Markham ON;
- Xiumei Wu, age 57, of Welland ON; and
- Bi Jin Zhu, age 64 of Markham ON.
These accused have been charged with:
- Cultivate, propagate or harvest more than four cannabis plants
- Possession of proceeds obtained by crime
The accused individuals have been released and are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Greater Napanee in early November, 2020.