A routine traffic stop for speeding in Leeds and the Thousand Islands has resulted in an ongoing investigation after police ended up seizing a loaded firearm.
Just before 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2019, officers from the Leeds County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) stopped a vehicle for speeding in the westbound lanes of Highway 401 in Leeds and the Thousand Islands Township. During the stop, officers located a loaded firearm in the vehicle, leading to numerous criminal charges against the driver.
As a result, the driver, Erson Buakasa, 20, of Scarborough, was arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a weapon for dangerous purposes
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Careless storage of a firearm, weapon, prohibited device, or ammunition
- Occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there was a firearm
- Possession of a load prohibited or restricted firearm
Additionally, Buakasa was charged under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act with:
- Operations of a motor vehicle without insurance
- Knowingly using an invalid insurance card
According to the OPP, this investigation remains ongoing.