As the days get darker and colder, many of those with cottages and seasonal homes are closing them up for the winter – a time that historically sees these properties targeted by thieves.
For this reason, the South Frontenac Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is reminding cottage or seasonal homeowners that their seasonal properties are “most valuable to thieves during the winter months.”
In an attempt to assist these property owners during the winterizing and/or closing of their seasonal properties, the OPP is offering the following tips:
- Use quality locks on windows, doors and sheds and make sure they are in good repair before leaving for the season.
- Close window curtains and blinds and put up shutters.
- Remove all food and alcohol.
- Stow away little things like water sports equipment and propane tanks.
- Take your valuables with you – electronics, personal items and tools.
- Remove all firearms or weapons.
- Shut down Wi-Fi.
- Think about keeping a radio on a talk station as opposed to music.
- Attempt to make your property look lived in with lamps on timers and having exterior lights with a motion sensor.
- Get to know your neighbours who have permanent homes in the area and ask if they check the property and keep them up to date if you plan to have maintenance done by a contractor.
- Look around and remove any objects that could be used to break into your property.
- Consider a home security system or a trail camera installed at access points outside the residence.
- Ensure that contact (key holder) information is made available for alarms, thefts and water damage.
- If motorized vehicles remain on the property make sure they are locked in a shed or building, covered, battery removed and keys taken with you.
- Installing large reflective numbers on you home and/or garage makes it easier for police and other emergency services to identify your home in the event of an emergency.
“Being proactive in the safety and security of your property is always time well spent,” the OPP said in a press release on Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021.