Earlier today, Monday, Jan. 8, 2024, the Lennox and Addington (L&A) County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute and arrested two individuals.
Just before 9 a.m. OPP officers to the report of a possible domestic dispute on Dundas Street West in Greater Napanee. According to a release from the OPP, it was reported to police that the suspects were carrying knives.
“The OPP’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Canine unit attended. When police arrived the suspects had fled the scene,” the release reads. “Police searched the building and located the suspects in another unit a short time later. Two individuals were arrested and transported back to the detachment. One of them was assaultive towards police while in police custody.”
Police noted that the investigation remains ongoing.
As a result of this investigation, L&A County OPP has charged a 37-year-old male, from Napanee, Ontario, with:
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm
- Two counts of possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000
- Two counts of assaulting a peace officer
- Mischief – destroy or damage property
- Assault with a weapon
- Possession of a schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – opioid
- Possession of a schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – methamphetamines
The OPP also charged a 27-year-old female, from Belleville, Ontario:
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000
The OPP provided the following for anyone who needs support regarding domestic violence:
“If you or someone you know is living in or involved in an abusive relationship help is available. Contact Interval House for support, advice or the safety of a shelter at 613-354-1010. Victim Services of Hastings, Prince Edward, Lennox and Addington is also available to provide emotional and practical assistance to people who have experienced domestic violence. They can be reached at 1-866-680-9972. In emergencies call 9-1-1.”