The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) and Lennox and Addington (L&A) County Detachment say they have seized illegal drugs connected to a smuggling incident at the Quinte Region Detention Centre.
According to a release from the OPP, dated Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020, staff at the Quinte Region Detention Centre in Greater Napanee contacted the OPP on October 26, 2019, to report that a drone had dropped a parcel of contraband within the facility. Correctional staff seized a quantity of illicit drugs, but it’s believed inmates did acquire some items.
On Friday, Nov. 13, 2020, as part of the investigation, members of the Street Crime Unit, assisted by the OPP Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and the L&A County OPP, executed a search warrant at a residence on McDonald Avenue in Kingston, according to the release. Officers seized a quantity of suspected crystal methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy) and Xanax pills, along with a drone, cash, ammunition, and scales, typically associated with drug trafficking. Two person were arrested at the scene.
Andrew Ubdergrove, age 23 of Kingston has been charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the purpose of trafficking – four counts
- Possession of a Schedule 4 substance for the purpose of trafficking – two counts
- Traffic in a Schedule 1 substance
- Possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a prohibition order
- Possession of property obtained by crime – two counts
Keisha Halladay, age 23 of Kingston has been charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the purpose of trafficking – two counts
- Possession of a Schedule 4 substance for the purpose of trafficking
- Possession of property obtained by crime
The accused have been released from custody and are scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Napanee in January 2021.