A couple who reunited after a violent domestic altercation earlier this month are now both facing charges related to their disputes.
The issues began on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018, when a male and female were seen punching each other in an east end residence at approximately 11:45 p.m. According to a press release from Kingston Police, the male left the residence following the altercation, and the female followed him with a baseball bat. As the two continued fighting on the front lawn of a nearby residence, a witness intervened and took away the bat. Once they were informed police had been called, the pair stopped fighting and left in separate directions.
Officers responded to their residence, where they found blood and broken glass. Although neither the male nor female were present upon police arrival, the female returned while police were present. At that time, the 20-year-old female was arrested and charged with assault, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and breach of recognizance.
The 19-year-old man involved was not found and, with his whereabouts unknown, a warrant was issued for his arrest.
Then, on Monday, Oct. 29, Kingston Police responded to an east end residence due to a male and female arguing. Police had reason to believe the wanted make and the previously charged female were the two people arguing. As officers arrived, they met the female exiting the apartment. Inside the apartment, officers located the male hiding under a mattress.
Both parties were arrested. The 19-year-old local man is charged with two counts of assault, and two counts of breach of recognizance. The 20-year-old local woman was additionally charged with breach of recognizance.
Kingston Police have issued the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/