According to the Limestone District School Board, natural gas has been ruled out as the cause of a strong “rotten egg” smell in and around Molly Brant Elementary School on Wednesday, January 22, and classes are continuing as usual.
Jane Douglas, Communications Officer for the Limestone District School Board, confirmed that Kingston Fire & Rescue had responded to the Kingscourt Park-area school in the early morning and had ruled out natural gas as the source of the foul smell.
Douglas said that regular classes would continue despite the odour, with the possibility that recess time would be modified to be conducted indoors.
Some parents said they were opting to remove their child from the school for the remainder of the day, as the strong odour was giving them headaches.
“Certainly some students will have different sensitivities to odours,” said Douglas, confirming that it was each students’ and parents’ prerogative to determine for themselves whether to remain at school for the day under the circumstances.
According to Douglas, Kingston Fire & Rescue believe that the odour had been carried by strong winds from a nearby industrial site about 3 kilometres southwest of the school.