Napanee veterinary clinic employee injured in oxygen tank explosion

Photo by Michelle Dorey Forestell

A veterinary technician suffered injuries and was taken to hospital following an oxygen tank explosion and subsequent fire at a veterinary clinic in Greater Napanee on Wednesday morning.

Fire crews from Greater Napanee Emergency Services and Lennox & Addington paramedics were dispatched to 203 Richmond Boulevard at around 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jun. 8, 2022 for a report of an oxygen tank explosion causing injury to one individual.

Crews arriving on scene found smoke emanating from the building, and the incident was upgraded to a “working fire” response.

The nature of the incident also prompted a mutual aid request from the neighbouring Stone Mills Fire Department.

Photo by Michelle Dorey Forestell

One employee was treated by paramedics on scene and subsequently transported to hospital for further treatment.

Ontario Provincial Police also responded shortly thereafter, closing the intersection of Richmond Boulevard and Camden Road while fire crews worked to knock down the fire and ventilate the smoke from the building.

Photo by Michelle Dorey Forestell

After knocking down the main fire, crews utilized a ladder truck to stop the extension of the fire onto the roof of the building. That secondary fire was also knocked down in short order.

Fortunately, no animals were injured in the explosion and fire, and all other employees were able to safely evacuate the building. The Office of the Fire Marshall and the Ministry Of Labour have been notified and requested to investigate the incident.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!