The wait is over! Downtown Kingston Business Improvement Area (BIA) has announced its Movies in the Square line-up. Now in its 15th season, Movies in the Square is a favourite among residents and visitors alike, and this season promises a little something for everyone, the BIA said in a media release.
“No pressure,” remarked Sandi Griffiths, Events Coordinator with Downtown Kingston and first-time organizer of the event. “People are passionate about movies. And very vocal about their favourites!”
Griffiths confirmed that, in the months leading up to the event, they do take suggestions from the public, “usually by phone or comments on our social media posts.”
According to Griffiths, they keep a running list and then take a closer look at content and ratings.
“We always do a throwback, something nostalgic,” she explained. “Of course, we look at new releases. And we try to strike a balance between movies for a more mature audience and those suitable for family viewing.”
This year’s movie line-up is:
- Rocketman (in partnership with Kingston Pride) – June 16
- Mean Girls (in partnership with Kingston Pride) – June 23
- West Side Story (2022) – June 30
- Pride & Prejudice – July 14
- Strictly Ballroom – July 21
- Black Soul (National Film Board of Canada short) and Hidden Figures – July 28
- Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – August 4
- Night at the Museum – August 11
- The BFG – August 18
- Blinded by the Light – August 25
- Encanto – September 1
Movies in the Square is a free event that runs Thursdays at dusk in Springer Market Square. June and July movies typically start around 9 p.m. with August movies airing closer to 8 p.m., according to the release Don’t forget your lawn chair, snacks, and a blanket for those cooler nights.
Check out the BIA’s other summer programming in our previous coverage.