Montreal Street closed, rail service paused for police investigation

Kingston Police conduct an investigation on Montreal Street near John Counter Boulevard on Saturday, May 18, 2024. Photo by Logan Cadue

Kingston Police has completed its investigation into a report of a suspicious package near Montreal Street and John Counter Boulevard and has determined that there is no threat to the public. The roadway and area rail traffic were cleared for travel shortly before 4:30 p.m.

Montreal Street was closed at John Counter Boulevard and an emergency rail stop order was put in effect in the area while Kingston Police conducted an investigation into a “suspicious package” on the afternoon of Saturday, May 18, 2024.

“Kingston Police are involved in an on-going investigation in the area,” Kingston Police confirmed in a statement shortly after noon.

Northbound and southbound Montreal Street between Briceland St and John Counter Blvd were temporarily closed for vehicular and pedestrian traffic. John Counter Blvd and the Waaban Crossing itself remained open to traffic.

Kingston Police conduct an investigation on Montreal Street near John Counter Boulevard on Saturday, May 18, 2024. Photo by Logan Cadue

“Kingston Police are requesting pedestrians not only avoid the roadway but the area of Montreal Street between Briceland St and John Counter Boulevard,” Kingston Police added at the time. “Be advised that not only during this incident, but at any time it is illegal and dangerous to walk on or along railway tracks.”

Kingston Police Media Relations Officer Cam Mack said that the exact nature of the suspicious package was undetermined and that police were taking all of the steps necessary purely as a precautionary measure until more information about the package was safely determined.

Shortly before 1 p.m., Kingston Police had deployed their reconnaissance drone in order to surveil the area.

Ontario Provincial Police were also on scene assisting Kingston Police in the investigation, and its Explosives Ordinance Disposal (EOD) Unit were requested to attend the scene. During the investigation, Mack stressed that the request for the specialized unit had been preemptively requested out of an abundance of caution.

“Police have verified there is no explosive device in the area, and it is now safe for pedestrians and vehicular traffic,” Kingston Police said in a release after the investigation was complete.

 “Kingston Police would like to thank the public for their understanding and cooperation in this matter.”

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!