A local man wanted in connection with a domestic assault that occurred earlier in the month was located by police when he was pulled over for bicycling without a light on his bike.
On Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, the accused man was at the victim’s residence and refused to leave. When the victim confronted the man, he became angry and hit her in the jaw and the stomach. When the victim bent over, the accused man struck her a second time in the jaw.
As a family member called the police, the man attempted to apologize. The victim was able to lock herself in the bathroom, and the man fled the residence before police arrived, according to a press release from Kingston Police. With his whereabouts unknown, a warrant was issued for the arrest of the accused man.
Nearly two weeks later on Tuesday, Oct. 30, a patrol officer noticed a man riding a bicycle southbound on Patrick Street with no light at approximately 1:30 a.m. Recognizing the man as the male wanted in relation to the domestic incident, the officer arrested the man.
The 33-year-old Kingston man is charged with assault and breach of probation.
Kingston Police issued the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/