A 31-year-old local man has been charged after his ex-common-law girlfriend went to police to report his ongoing abuse.
On Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018, the female victim came forward to police, explaining the abuse she’d suffered at the hand of her ex. Police learned the accused male had assaulted the victim both before and after they’d separated, according to a press release from Kingston Police.
In March of this year, the man pushed the victim down a flight of stairs, resulting in a cut to the victim’s arm. In August of this year, the man woke up in a rage and slapped the victim across the face in front of her young child.
Then, last month, the accused male showed up at the victim’s residence unannounced and entered her bedroom. Angry over the victim going out with her friends, the man attempted to pull the victim out of bed by her hair before he left her residence.
At the direction of the investigating officer, the accused male attended Kingston Police headquarters on Tuesday, Oct. 2. He was arrested and is charged with three counts of assault.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services-resources/victim-services/#path_of_strength
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/