Man arrested for sexually assaulting his niece in the 80s
Well over 20 years after being sexually assaulted by her uncle, an area woman will now see justice served thanks to the efforts of Kingston Police.
On Thursday, Jun. 28, 2018, the Kingston Police Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Unit began an investigating the historical sexual assaults, which occurred in the mid-to-late 1980s. The victim reported that the incidents occurred when she was under 10 years old and living with her grandmother. The accused man, her uncle, a teenager at the time, was also living in the residence.
On Saturday, Nov. 17, the accused man turned himself in at Kingston Police Headquarters where he was arrested. The 46-year-old Perth man was charged with sexual assault.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/