A local man was has been charged with assault, mischief under $5000, and two counts of breach of probation after a violent domestic altercation.
At 2:20 p.m. on Tuesday Jul. 28, 2020, an argument took place at a downtown Kingston residence, according to Kingston Police. The accused male and female victim had been in an intimate relationship for a number of years, and on this date the accused became angry with the victim after she received a text message from a friend.
After slapping the victim in the head, the accused began destroying her personal property, police say. Damaged items included the victim’s laptop and cell phone. The accused male then threw a lighter at the victim, striking her in the face, just before leaving the residence, according to police.
Police located the accused at approximately 2:30 p.m. as he was walking northbound on Division Street near Adelaide Street. He was arrested and transported to police headquarters. According to police, the accused was in contravention of his court imposed probation conditions.
The following is a message from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres