Man arrested after son discovers over 50 years of abuse aimed at his mother
Kingston Police were called when a father and son became entangled in a pushing match after the son had learned that his father had continually abused his mother during their relationship.
Police responded to the call at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018, which indicated the two men were fighting in a car pool parking lot on Highway 38. When police arrived, ambulances were already on the scene, and the accused male was in one ambulance while his wife was in another. Both the man and woman were transported to hospital, and the responding officers spoke with the couple’s adult son.
Officers learned that the son was visiting with his parents when he discovered that his father, the accused, had been repeatedly assaulting his mother for over 50 years. While the son was driving his parents to a local store, he confronted his father, according to a press release from Kingston Police. The father became enraged and began punching his son, who was driving at the time. The son pulled into the car pool parking lot, and the two began pushing one another.
The accused 86-year-old man is charged with one count of assault against his son, and one global count of domestic assault.
Kingston Police released the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services-resources/victim-services/#path_of_strength
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
For women: http://kfacc.org/ For men: http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families