Kingston Police have released the identity of a man who fled Kingston Police after a traffic stop, and further information regarding the circumstances around the incident.
Police say that on May 28, 2020 at approximately 7:55 p.m. the suspect, Timothy Donovan, was observed by police operating a motor vehicle while not wearing his seat belt on Concession Street near Leroy Grant Drive in downtown Kingston.
Police followed the vehicle to a parking lot at Westdale Avenue near Bath Road and conducted a traffic stop. Police approached the vehicle and spoke to Donovan, who was already known to police, at which time he identified himself and further indicated that he was on outstanding charges. As Donovan opened the driver’s side door to the vehicle to retrieve the ownership and insurance, police say they observed a canister of what appeared to be pepper spray as well as a large quantity of Canadian currency in the door storage compartment.
Police questioned Donovan in regards to the pepper spray and currency and asked him to exit the vehicle to be placed under arrest, at which time he began walking away from the officer. Donovan then allegedly fled on foot, northbound on Westdale Avenue towards Bath Road. A foot chase ensued however Donovan escaped.
Police set up containment in the area, and the K9 unit was dispatched to track the suspect. However, an extensive search of the area was unable to locate him.
Kingston Police say a subsequent search of the vehicle revealed not only the pepper spray and currency, but a quantity of crystal methamphetamine and fentanyl. Police also located two handguns with various ammunition, a replica handgun, and 12 “flick” style knives.
Donovan was already wanted by police after failing to comply with court approved conditions stemming from a previous arrest for drug trafficking and weapon offences in March of this year.
Donovan, who is 27 years of age, is described as a Caucasian male, 5’7”, 150 lbs, with a fair complexion and slim build. He has dark brown short hair and hazel coloured eyes.
Donovan is currently wanted by Kingston Police on the following charges:
- unlicenced person possess prohibited weapon,
- possess prohibited weapon knowing no authority,
- two counts possess prohibited firearm without holding a licence and registration certificate,
- two counts possess prohibited firearm knowingly not holding a licence and registration certificate,
- two counts occupy motor vehicle with firearm,
- transport a firearm carelessly,
- possess firearm with altered serial number, six counts possess firearm, etc. while prohibited,
- two counts possess schedule 1 substance for trafficking,
- possession under $5000,
- fail to comply with release order,
- three counts fail to comply with undertaking,
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of this individual is asked to please contact the Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.
You can also provide tips anonymously by calling the Kingston Police general number 613-549-4660 ext. 0 and asking to remain anonymous.