A man from Loyalist Township is facing a litany of charges after he was stopped for a traffic related offence and chose to flee from police instead.
The incident occurred on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019, when, at approximately 2:55 a.m., officers from the Leeds County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) stopped the man’s vehicle for traffic offence. The male driver fled on foot, but was located with the assistance of the Emergency Response Team and the OPP Canine Unit.
As a result, Jason Gilfillen, 33, was arrested and charged with:
- Three counts of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Escaping lawful custody
- Resisting a peace officer
- Being the occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there was prohibited or restricted weapons
- Two counts of possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a prohibition order
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the purpose of trafficking
- Operation of an unsafe vehicle
- Operation of a motor vehicle without insurance.